Abigail

Meagan, age 23

The morning of my daughter's birth I had an appointment at 9am to just check my status. I had had three false labors, so I was positive those had to do something, but I was only at 3 cm. My doctor said she was very low, and decided to strip my membranes, which was not as horrible as what I had expected, and contractions began immediately. I didn't think much of it because I figured it would still be a day at least until I MIGHT go into labor. So we went home and relaxed and waited to hear the news of my sister having her baby. She had just been induced; we had the same doctor.
After a few hours, my contractions were consistent; they were coming every 5 minutes, but they weren't very strong. I still refused to believe this was actual labor because it seemed so unreal. At 1pm we went to the hospital, but not for us, we went for my sister who was supposed to be pushing at any moment. We were there for a few hours, and my contractions were getting closer; about 3 minutes apart, but still not intense enough for me to not carry on a conversation. My doctor told me to come in once I couldn't talk through the contractions. 

It was around 5:30 when my sister had her baby! So we went into meet her and it was at this time that I was really feeling the contractions, and I needed to concentrate through them more. I knew now that this was no joke, and I was in fact in labor. I was trying so hard to focus on my new niece, but my husband and parents told me I should really consider at least getting checked. The nurse told me they could check me and if I wasn't too far dilated, I didn't have to be admitted. When they checked me I was 5 cm dilated and my contractions were 2 minutes apart. So I was admitted at 6:45pm, and at about this time I started to feel nauseous from what I am guessing was because of the strong contractions. But once I through up I felt great again. I made sure to tell my nurse to not even bring up the idea of an epidural:) She was amazing and so supportive through it all, especially since she had given birth to her children naturally!

I instantly jumped into the jacuzzi, which was such a relaxer for me. By 10pm I was 7cm dilated and my doctor told me I would be delivering in 1 hour. I made him shake on it ;) This is when I felt my weakest and thought I was crazy for doing this naturally. I was having coupling contractions, plus they were in my stomach and my back, so I was really feeling it! Thankfully I had a husband who was amazingly supportive and had more confidence in me then I did. I jumped from 7cm to 10cm in 30 minutes and definitely felt the urge and knew it was time to push. I could really feel that "ring of fire".
And at 10:57pm, after 12 minutes and 6 pushes, Abigail Kaye was here!! She was 7lbs 9.2 oz, and 18 inches long. Born 5 1/2 hours after her "twin cousin".

After the post contractions ended, I felt amazing! I felt strong, and energized, and fully awake. And Abigail was so alert and moving like crazy! I think at first I felt a bit crazy for having just given birth naturally, but after a little while, I was so grateful I had!! It truly felt empowering, and like the best thing for me and my baby girl. I had such a wonderful experience, and I am excited about doing it again one day!!



1. When did you decide you wanted to deliver your baby naturally?

 A few years before getting pregnant I started to consider it. Once I actually got pregnant I knew it was something I wanted.

2. What reasons or factors went into your decision? At first it was from bad stories I had heard from getting an epidural. I had no desire to go through what some women I knew went through.
Then I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Women for thousands of years have been doing it, so why couldn't I? I felt like it would be invigorating and such an accomplishment.
I also very much preferred the idea of not putting drugs into my child's system. I hate drugs for myself, so why would I want to put any into my child.
And I hate the feeling of being numb. I need complete control of my body and couldn't stand the thought of not being able to move around or feel what was going on.

3. What did you do to prepare for natural childbirth? (midwife, classes, methods, books, etc.) We actually didn't take any classes. We both read Husband Coached Child Birth, and Natural Child Birth, the Bradley Method. We loved them both! I did some of the exercises they suggested as well as I worked out my entire pregnancy. I had always heard that the more active you were, the better labor and delivery would go, so I really stuck to it and I truly do believe it helped.

4. What was the hardest part of your experience - before, during, or after childbirth?
I had coupling contractions, and they were in my stomach and my back, so that was pretty difficult, because I didn't get a break and it was pain all over. But it wasn't bad until 7cm, and then even though at the time it felt like it had been forever, it really wasn't that long. Before I knew it I was pushing!
And I think the post delivery contractions kind of sucked. Not because they were harder or more intense, but because at that point, I had done all the work and just wanted to hold my daughter in peace. I was not prepared for that.

5. What was most helpful to you during labor to help make pain from contractions manageable? The jacuzzi!!! I'm not sure what I would have done without it. It really helped me relax and not tense up. And my husband was really amazing and great with talking me through the pain and keeping me positive and calm. Music also really helped. Next time I will use it more. But I think that depends on the type of person you are. I feel very effected by music, I feel like I am in the song and just really tune into it, forgetting about what's around me.

6. What do you wish you would have known going into delivery?
I'm not sure there is anything. I felt very aware as to what was going on during labor and delivery. However, I do wish I would have known I didn't need to take so much STUFF! Looking back, my husband and I laugh at how much we brought. But I think that's something you have to learn by experience. :)

7. Is there anything you would have done differently?
Not take so much stuff! Other than that I think it went great! My Nurse was amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better one. My OBGYN was also amazing. I had a very pleasant hospital experience, so I have no negative feelings towards that. However I do think I'd like to try a home birth or birthing center next time, now that I've done it.

8. What did you feel were the positive benefits to your natural childbirth - were the benefits what you expected? I loved that my daughter was very alert from the moment they put her on my chest, for the next couple of hours. I loved knowing what was going on. Knowing when I needed to push, and when she was out. I loved being able to walk around freely, and not having a single IV or anything hooked up to me. I was free to roam around and do what I needed to do for myself. I felt amazing afterwards and full of energy!

9.  Is natural childbirth something you recommend to other mothers, or something you'd do again? ABSOLUTELY!!! Sadly there is a negative outlook on natural birth, we are made to think it is impossible for us to do it without drugs. But millions of women before us gave birth naturally, and so can all of us! (Aside from certain medical exceptions) We are strong and capable. It's such an amazing experience, and though it is painful, the pain has come and gone before you know it, and all of the sudden you are holding your sweet baby and would do it over and over! It's such an empowering experience.
 
10. What advice do you have for other mothers interested in natural childbirth?
Prepare! There is no way to be 100% prepared obviously, but don't go into it blindly. Study, read, ask other women out there, anything you can do to prepare! And to remind yourself to focus on the end result. The pain will be there, but it will go away, and before you know it, you won't even remember the pain. Know that YOU CAN DO IT!!! Also some of the best advice from my doctor was to not come in just because my contractions were 5 minutes apart, but to
wait until I could no longer talk through them. If I had come in when they were 5 minutes apart, I would have been in that room all day! I didn't check in until they happened to be 2 minutes apart.

Questions for Meagan?
josh.meagan@hotmail.com
joshandmeagan.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment