Heather Rose

Jessica, 23.

I knew right after my first daughter was born that my next child would be born naturally, without unnecessary interference from doctors and medicine. I first blame newness on failing to continue through my first delivery naturally, but I also put some blame on the nurse and doctor who attended me as well.
My nurse was new, and couldn’t get the external ultrasound belt on correctly, which led my doctor to believe I wasn’t really contracting regularly. Thing is, I was. But alas, he insisted on moving labor along by breaking my bag of waters with a wire. It took him a couple of tries to get this done, and by the time he was finished, I was in such severe pain from it that I was cold sweating, dizzy, and horrified of how much worse labor would be soon becoming. That’s when I opted for an epidural. When all was over, I secretly regretted my decision and knew that by taking my first experience and learning from it, my next delivery (barring medical disaster) would be directed by me, by my body.
As I got closer to d-day with my second child, I started researching anything that would ease labor. I printed out page after page of things my husband could do to help me and things I could do to help myself. I watched Youtube videos of some very beautiful natural deliveries, and talked to other women who had done what I wanted to do, like my mom. More importantly than the head knowledge though, was the mental preparation I did. As long as I knew what I wanted, I would figure out how to make it happen. After all, women have been delivering naturally for thousands of years, with no other options!
I also made a point of writing out a very short, concise birth plan stating that I did not want to be hooked up to an IV (allowing me to walk and move as much as I needed), that I wanted to be able to deliver my daughter in any position I felt I needed to be in when the time came, that I wanted a mirror set up so I could watch my daughter’s progression through delivery, and a couple other things. I had this birth plan approved by my midwife, and all was a go.
At 15 weeks of pregnancy, I started experiencing Braxton Hicks, which is similar to how my first pregnancy went. I knew that when my child decided to come then, it would be fast. And it was. I was dilated at 35 weeks, progressing steadily until 37 weeks, when my contractions became very consistent but still painless for two days before my husband almost pushed me out the door and to the hospital. I was embarrassed to go, thinking I would be sent home, but after an hour of monitoring and being told that if I did go home, to wear a towel under myself because my bulging bag of waters would break at any moment, I was admitted. This time, my water was broken (because it was bulging so much) and it was quick and painless. I got up, started walking around, and after about 20 minutes the contractions started getting stronger. I started working my way though them by intentionally keeping my muscles relaxed and leaning on my husband, always remembering to breathe. Then, I moved on to the birthing ball, where I was able to lean against the bed with my legs wide open. My husband sat in front of me, doing nothing but letting me stare at him and breathe and hum whenever contractions hit, and my mom sat behind me, massaging my back. 
After laboring for about 1 hour, I all the sudden… and I mean ALL THE SUDDEN has this crazy, animal urge to push. My mom ran out to get the nurse and I somehow made it to the bed (although that part it a little fuzzy). I didn’t think I would be so loud, but I was. I really couldn’t help it. I wasn’t screaming, but I was major vocalizing through the pushing urges, like singing a song in one loud note. The nurse did an internal exam and told me I couldn’t push because I still had a little lip of cervix left, and I freaked out, saying I HAD to push, that I couldn’t stop it. 
At one point, in order to help stop me from pushing (and amidst all my crazy vocalizing), all I saw was I mom’s face over mine, yelling at me to just breath, just move her hair with my breath, to just focus on that. It was all I could do, and sometimes I pushed anyway. Finally I was given the okay to push and oh I did! I saw my daughter’s head crowning after one good push (remember, I insisted on the mirror), and then the proverbial ring of fire began. The neat thing about going naturally is your body takes over, and you almost become animal in your strength. So I just pushed… I didn’t care about the pain. And five minutes later, I felt the slick body of my daughter emerge, and I went numb (down there J ). She was all I could see after that. 
I did tear in two places, but no episiotomy was performed, and I healed just as fast as if I would have had one. My husband claimed that as I was pushing like an animal, he couldn’t help but pushing too! I thought was kind of funny. 
That is my story, and it is a story I am proud to tell. To any mother who wants to go natural but isn’t sure she can… she can. But it must be something you prepare yourself mentally for. If you go into the hospital not confident that you can deliver without an epidural and are not prepared to be in charge of your labor and delivery instead of handing all reigns over to your doctor or midwife, than you most likely won’t go naturally. But it can be done, and it sure it worth it!
 
For questions e-mail Heather at theitalian3721 at yahoo dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment